Throughout the time of the Judges, we see Israel going through cycles covering 6 stages: (Notice 2:6-19)
1. Rest v.6-10—enjoying the blessings of the land of promise.
2. Rebellion v. 11—the people divorcing themselves from God, following idolatry and becoming captive to sin.
3. Retribution v.14-17 —God withdrawing His protection, delivering them into the hands of enemy oppressors.
4. Repentance v.18 —Israel crying to God for help, wanting to turn from their self-destructive, sinful practices.
5. Restoration v.18 —God raising judges to deliver His people from oppression.
6. Revival v.18 —Israel is led back to a life of fellowship with Him.
Then the cycle is repeated.
As we study Old/New Testament history, it would be wise to ask ourselves: Why do we disobey God’s word, even though we understand the blessings of obedience and the consequences of disobedience?
A statement we will repeat is “Obedience brings blessings and disobedience brings discipline.” (Warren Wiersbe)